Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3 31DC - Gold

Hi Everyone!!

So today marks day 3 of the challenge! I'm really excited about this mani. Not to toot my own horn, but I think it came out really neat! Not to mention the picture quality is much better, as I'm finally using my actual camera with better lighting.

So, I am super into Steampunk. If you've never heard of it, it's a little hard to describe. Basically, it's Victorian style meets futuristic alternate reality where everything is powered by steam? If that makes any sense whatsoever. It's very industrial, but there's also lacy, dapper elements to it. Do a Google search and you'll see some really neat stuff.

My fiance and I did Steampunk style costumes for Halloween last year. We made all of our accessories ourselves with gears and keys and such from Michael's. So, I decided to utilize them in my nail art for today, and this is the result!




I painted my nails first with a base of Sinful Colors Inkwell, and layered All About You over that to get the tarnished gold look.



Then I applied the gears while it was still tacky and put a coat of Seche Vite over them, kind of dabbing it around the gears to get them to stick on. They held on a lot better than I thought they would! The hand positioning is a bit awkward but I wanted the gears to look like they were connected, like working clockwork.



I really love old vintage-y keys and clocks. It's kind of an obsession of mine. 


As an added bonus, here's a shot of the suspenders we made for Halloween for his costume :)




Make sure you check out the other lovely gold manis done today! See you tomorrow for Day 4 - Pink. This is one I'm not looking forward to :( I'm not a pink girl! But we'll see what we come up with!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/purplecrumpetfairy/






3 comments: